Pipeline Theatre Company was founded in 2009 as a class project at NYU’s Atlantic Acting School and is now entering its 10th season. In the past three years, the company has gone from an operating size of $75K to $300K based on the hard work and dedication of the volunteer staff, and the unbridled imaginations of our community of artists. We have always put our artists first and have prioritized fundraising to pay artist fees on our mainstages. As our company continues to grow, we are, for the first time, able to dedicate resources to growing our staff capacity, in order to create sustainability and support our long-term artistic vision. In season 9 we introduced our first salaried staff member, and in the upcoming season we would like to bring an additional leader into the fold to help bolster our growth and the future of Pipeline.
POSITION: Managing Director
ORGANIZATION: Pipeline Theatre Company (New York, NY)
JOB TYPE/SALARY: $20K annually, part-time, with a flexible schedule (average 15-20 hours/week; and 25-30 hours/week during productions and major events).
REPORTS TO: Report to Producing Artistic Director in the first year, reports directly to the board in the second year onward.
OVERSEES: Pipeline’s Volunteer Staff, External/Independent Contractors
- Say yes to artists and big ideas whenever possible
- Work collaboratively and compassionately
- Work closely with the Producing Artistic Director (the only other paid staff position) to manage a growing organization with a $300K operating budget
- Oversee and manage Pipeline volunteer staff and interns
- Strategize and execute growth plans in fundraising and general operations
- Major focus on fundraising and strategy with a goal towards increased income
- Take lead on grant applications (Government and Foundations) for continued financial growth
- Take lead, with support from Producing Artistic Director, staff and Board of Directors to plan annual Gala and all additional fundraising events (donor cultivation, thank you events and smaller fundraisers)
- Maintain donor database and manage donor follow-up, acknowledgements, and yearly tax-letters
- Cultivate show-specific sponsorships
- Plan show-specific events (Opening night, VIP nights, fundraising events, etc.)
- Operational oversight and goal setting, growth planning and execution
- Financial reporting and accounting
- Creating and maintaining annual budgets, cash flow documents, and show-specific production budgets with Producing Artistic Director
- Oversee all marketing initiatives with support from Marketing staff position
- Develop ticket sales projections and oversee the development and execution of sales strategy
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have a passion for Pipeline’s mission and our community of emerging artists.
- Be a leader who has the vision and energy to continue to grow our burgeoning company into a sustainable and healthy home for artists.
- Be a creative-thinker and problem-solver.
- Be comfortable with a flexible schedule and working remotely.
- Have experience in fundraising. Prior experience with a theatre company is highly desirable. Marketing experience is a plus (Those with a Master’s Degree in Theatre Management, Arts Administration or comparable experience are highly encouraged to apply).
- Have a sense of humor and boat loads of courage.
We are a growing company and are looking for a leader to grow along with us. This is a major opportunity for growth, leadership and integration into our company.
Application deadline: August 19th, 2018
To submit: Email cover letter, resume and 2 references (Name / Affiliation / Contact – no letters required) to email@example.com
Pipeline Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran. We celebrate difference. Therefore, applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.